Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The truth about being honest - I cannot tell a lie



"I cannot tell a lie" said George Washington to his father when his father asked who chopped down his favourite cherry tree. (http://www.eagleforum.org/educate/washington/advice.html) I have always wondered what George Washington would say to the numerous politicians in his country if he were to live till today, especially if George were to meet Bill Clinton - that would have been interesting.

I have always imagined what would he say to doctors who have to resort to 'lying' in order to give hope to terminally ill patients in order to give them hope to continue to their losing battles with their terminal diseases. What about those politicians who promise the moon to their supporters (voters) before they are elected but once they are elected into the office, they conveniently forget about promises made? Or the 'little white lies' each of us have conveniently used every now and then to get us out of tight spots?

The challenge in the 21st Century isn't about "I cannot tell a lie" anymore. It is about "I need to lie to keep my sanity" syndrome. E.g. from the doctor's perspective - in order to ensure that his / her patients continue to battle the losing fight against terminal diseases, doctors may suggest "experimental treatments" or drugs under human trial tests. Or the doctors may even suggest that the patient has 2-3 months to live when the actual fact may only be 2-3 days. I am not sure if doctors are trained to tell the brutal honest truth to patients who may not be psychologically fit to receive the news that he/she has a terminal disease. But what I am sure is that doctors are trained to be professional and that it not to be emotionally attached to their patients. Watching the movie Patch Adams made me change my mind and I am glad to be proven wrong that not all doctors are 'professionals'.

Not sure if politicians are trained to lie; I am unable to find a political class in any university that specializes in lying. In drama class perhaps but in politics? Could it be politicians lie because they have never been caught? Do we tell "little white lies" because we can get away with it?

George Washington may have lived in the 18th century but what has not changed is that all of us started life as an innocent being with a conscience. What has become of our conscience that we can justify lying? As the saying goes, practice makes perfect so every time we get away with 'little white lies' we are honing our skills in telling the untrue statements.

Perhaps people tell lies because they fear the outcome if they were to tell the truth? I would believe this case for the scenario shared above for the doctors. But what about politicians? What about ourselves? Something interesting I read some time ago called 'Children Learn What They Live'. http://www.empowermentresources.com/info2/childrenlearn-long_version.html

If we want to improve ourselves presently, we should look into our past actions and think of a remedy so that we are better prepared for the unknown future.

When I have a kid, (planning one in year 2010, hoping to be 10th October 2010), I will bear this poem in mind. Hope that you will too.

No comments: